Eight people were killed and a dozen were injured in lower Manhattan on Tuesday after a man drove a pickup truck down a bike path in what officials are calling the city’s first terrorist attack since September 11, 2001.
- The suspect is 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov, an Uzbek national who entered the US in March 2010. He was shot in the abdomen by police and is in custody.
- Uber said the suspect had been working as one of its drivers for the past six months.
- A note left inside the truck referenced the Islamic State group.
- Five Argentinian friends on a school reunion trip, a Belgian national and two Americans died.
- US President Donald Trump has called for new restrictions on immigrants in the wake of the attack. He said he will call on Congress to terminate the diversity immigrant visa program through which, according to the Department of Homeland Security, Saipov entered the US.
- While the police presence in New York City has been stepped up, the New York City Marathon is due to proceed as scheduled on Sunday.
Date created : 2017-11-01