Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

PERSPECTIVE

Protecting heritage land against mining companies

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US tops list of most competitive economies

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South African musician Bongeziwe Mabandla on his 'urban African folk'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Reshuffle and a televised act of contrition for Macron

Read more

THE DEBATE

Macron malaise: Can the French president reverse his plummeting popularity?

Read more

ENCORE!

Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy on the red carpet in Paris

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

The dictator hunter: Reed Brody on bringing despots to justice

Read more

FOCUS

France explores alternatives to prison

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Blind support or strategic move? Australia mulls embassy move to Jerusalem

Read more

Americas

Talks continue as Colombia ceasefire with ELN expires

© Rodrigo Buendia, AFP | Pablo Beltran, the ELN's chief negotiator in talks with the government speaks during an exclusive interview with AFP at Cashapamba state in Salgolqui, Ecuador on January 9, 2018.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2018-01-10

A ceasefire between Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels and the government expired at midnight on Tuesday, ahead of the start of a new round of talks that is expected to renew the pact.

The National Liberation Army (ELN) and the government have been in peace talks in Quito, the capital of Ecuador, since the beginning of last year in a bid to end more than 53 years of fighting. Negotiations are expected to begin again on Wednesday.

The group’s first-ever ceasefire, which began in October, ended without being extended as logistical problems prevented the two sides from meeting at the scheduled time on Monday, the government said.

The ELN has said it is not keen on extending the truce under original terms and wants a new deal drawn up. Center-right President Juan Manuel Santos has not said he would launch an immediate offensive against the group now that the ceasefire has ended.

>> Focus: Colombia on the rocky road to reconciliation

During the ceasefire, reached on Sept. 4, the insurgent group promised to suspend hostage taking, attacks on roads and oil installations, the use of landmines and the recruitment of minors. In turn, the government agreed to improve protection for community leaders and conditions for about 450 jailed rebels.

The 2,000-strong ELN, which has regularly bombed oil infrastructure and taken hostages, has clashed with other armed groups during the suspension of hostilities.

Santos, who leaves office this year, signed a peace deal with the larger Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in late 2016 after negotiations in Cuba that lasted four years.

The FARC is now a political party with a candidate for president in May elections.

Founded by radical Roman Catholic priests in 1964, the ELN has sought peace with the government before but made little progress. It is considered a terrorist group by the United States and European Union.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2018-01-10

  • COLOMBIA

    Colombia's FARC leader Timochenko to run for presidency

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    Colombia and last rebel group begin truce

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    Colombia's government agrees ceasefire with ELN rebels

    Read more

COMMENT(S)