Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Cameroon's Constitutional Court rejects last petition for re-run

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Music stars, French art and a dead cat's renaissance

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Khashoggi Affair: Evidence mounts against Saudi Crown Prince

Read more

#TECH 24

Next stop space: Japanese company constructing nanotube 'space lift'

Read more

#THE 51%

The Gender Divide: Record number of women running in U.S. midterms

Read more

REPORTERS

Reporters: Brexit, a sea of uncertainty for fishermen

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Fishing in France's Grau du Roi harbour, a family tradition

Read more

FOCUS

French education reforms under tight scrutiny

Read more

ENCORE!

FIAC 2018: Paris's one-stop shop for Contemporary Art collectors

Read more

France

Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam refuses to answer questions at Belgian trial

© Benoit Peyrucq, AFP | A drawing of Salah Abdeslam at the Palais de Justice court in Brussels on February 5, 2018.

Video by Alix LE BOURDON , Méabh MCMAHON

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2018-02-05

Salah Abdeslam, the only surviving suspect from the November 2015 Paris attacks, refused to answer questions as he went on trial Monday in Brussels in connection with a shoot-out with police that led to his capture.

The only surviving member of the Islamic State cell that attacked Paris in November 2015 refused to rise for a Belgian court on Monday, or answer questions about his actions, during his first appearance in public since his arrest nearly two years ago.

Salah Abdeslam is on trial in his hometown of Brussels on charges of attempted murder for a police shootout from which he fled. The man who covered for his getaway with a spray of automatic gunfire died. Abdeslam's escape was short-lived - he was captured on March 18, 2016, in the same neighborhood where he and many of his Islamic State fighter colleagues grew up.

Abdeslam arrived in the Belgian capital on Monday morning after being transferred from a prison in France. Security was high at the Brussels courthouse, with armed guards and multiple checkpoints leading to the courtroom.

He is being tried alongside a second defendant, Sofiane Ayari, in relation to the shootout. The judge's questions Monday were oriented toward establishing which of the two had also fired on officers.

Prosecutors are seeking a maximum sentence of 20 years.

Asked why he was refusing to stand, Abdeslam said: "I'm tired, I did not sleep."

Abdeslam, now wearing a full beard and longer hair than in pictures released before he was arrested, was flanked by masked guards and refused to answer questions beyond a few formalities.

"I do not wish to respond to any questions. I was asked to come. I came," he said. "I defend myself by keeping silent."

"Muslims are judged and treated without pity, there is no presumption of innocence," said Abdeslam, who stared straight ahead for much of the hearing.

"I'm not afraid of you, I'm not afraid of your allies. I place my faith in Allah."

Meabh McMahon reports from Brussels

Abdeslam has previously refused to speak to investigators in France about the attack there that killed 130. Days after his capture, extremists struck in Brussels. In total, 162 people died in the two attacks.

The trial relates to the 2016 shooting in Brussels, some four months after the Paris attacks. Abdeslam and two suspects were hiding in an apartment when police arrived for a routine search. Three officers were wounded in the shootout that followed and one suspect was killed. Abdeslam was captured a few days later in the flashpoint Brussels neighborhood of Molenbeek.

Video: Who is Salah Abdeslam?

"We want to see what elements will be provided in order to have a better understanding of this series of events and terror attacks, in France and in Belgium," said Guillaume Denoix de Saint Marc, a member of V-Europe, a victims' association.

"This trial is one of the pieces of a global puzzle which will answer some of our questions. But at the same time, we expect to be very disappointed and to learn nothing."

(AP)

Date created : 2018-02-04

  • BELGIUM

    Trial in Belgium for Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam postponed until February

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    Lawyer for Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam requests Belgian trial delay

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Jailed Paris attacks suspect pens introspective letter to female fan

    Read more

COMMENT(S)