Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Global Competitiveness report releases 2018 Africa performance

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Brexit: 'The end isn't nigh'

Read more

THE DEBATE

Where do you draw the line? Brexit deadline summit stumbles over Irish border

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Uighurs and Kazakhs held in re-education camps in China

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Salim Saab: Showcasing the women of the Arab art world

Read more

FOCUS

Irish border remains stumbling block in Brexit talks

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: Capernaum - powerful social drama or poverty porn?

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Nature under threat: Arresting pictures from Wildlife Photography Awards

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Protecting heritage land against mining companies

Read more

Asia-pacific

Philippine police shoot dead 13 as Duterte quits International Criminal Court

© Noel Celis, AFP | An alleged drug dealer is handcuffed during a police operation conducted in Manila on March 15, 2018. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced Wednesday a move towards quitting the ICC, which has launched a preliminary examination.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2018-03-25

Philippine police said Thursday they had shot dead 13 drug suspects, just days after President Rodrigo Duterte moved to take the country out of the International Criminal Court over its inquiry into his deadly drug war.

The suspects were killed Wednesday in the northern province of Bulacan, an official statement said, an area where police have previously launched lethal crackdowns on illegal drugs.

"Bulacan police are continuously and relentlessly implementing their intensified campaign against illegal drugs," the statement said, adding there had been more than 100 arrests.

The war crimes tribunal, based in The Hague, last month launched a preliminary inquiry into Duterte's bloody crackdown on narcotics, amid allegations Philippine security forces may have committed crimes against humanity.

Killings are 'systematic and widespread', says HRW's Carlos Conde

Philippine police have said they have killed roughly 4,100 suspects who fought back during arrest, but rights groups allege the actual number is three times higher and accuse the authorities of murder.

"The president himself has denied access to the special rapporteur and has launched a vicious attack against the United Nations and the rapporteur, Agnès Callamard, undermining her credibility and discouraging her from investigating these killings,” Carlos Conde, a researcher for Human Rights Watch Asia Division, told FRANCE 24.

'A determined evasion of accountability'

The war crimes tribunal opened in 2002 to try abuses in countries where national courts cannot or will not prosecute. Manila in 2011 ratified the Rome Statute that created the court.

Manila gave official notice to the United Nations last week that it would withdraw, days after Duterte announced his country would quit the court over alleged "baseless, unprecedented and outrageous attacks" against his government's rights record.

Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said last Friday the Philippines was pushing back against "the well-orchestrated campaign to mislead the international community, to crucify President Duterte... by distorting the human rights situation in the country".

The tribunal has urged Manila to reconsider its decision, adding that officially quitting the court requires a year's notice and does not preclude its preliminary inquiry into the drug war killings, which have drawn international concern.

Duterte, who is buoyed by high popularity ratings at home, has fiercely defended the drug war as a battle to bring safety to the nation's 100 million people.

He has frequently urged authorities to kill drug suspects while promising to protect police from legal sanction.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Date created : 2018-03-25

  • PHILIPPINES

    Philippines's Duterte moves to quit ICC over 'outrageous attacks'

    Read more

  • Philippines

    Philippine President Duterte needs 'psychiatric evaluation', says UN human rights chief

    Read more

  • PHILIPPINES

    Philippine President Duterte admits to fatally stabbing someone as a teen

    Read more

COMMENT(S)