Trump says missiles 'will be coming' to Syria after suspected gas attack
Date created : Latest update :
US President Donald Trump threatened Wednesday that missiles "will be coming" in reponse to a suspected Syrian gas attack that killed at least 40 people over the weekend. Syria described Trump's threats as a "reckless escalation".
- Defying Russian warnings against any new US military strikes in Syria, President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that missiles "will be coming" in response to a suspected chemical attack that killed at least 40 people in the last Syrian rebel stronghold of Douma over the weekend. Trump did not specify whether these would be US missiles.
- Syria described Trump's threats as a "reckless escalation", the SANA state news agency reported.
- Russia threatened late on Tuesday to take retaliatory action against the United States if missiles are fired at Syria over chemical attack allegations, which it claims are fabricated. "If there is a US strike ... the missiles will be downed as well as the sources they were fired from," said Alexander Zasypkin, Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon.
- The United States, Britain and France have said the attack bears all the hallmarks of a strike ordered by the Syrian regime, which has been blamed for previous attacks by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- The Syrian government said its invitation to the OPCW to send a fact-finding mission to the country is "proof" that Damascus has not used chemical weapons. The weapons watchdog said Tuesday that it would be sending a mission to Douma "shortly".
- The Russian armed forces announced Wednesday it was sending military police into Douma to "ensure law and order". Russia's military earlier said the situation in the area, the last Syrian rebel stronghold, had been "totally stabilised".
Watch the FRANCE 24 live blog below to follow events as they unfolded.