Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

PERSPECTIVE

Ending the war in Syria: 'We do not want the Gaddafi scenario'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Argentina close to bailout deal as central bank chief quits

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Ethiopia violence: 1,200 detained after Addis Ababa clashes

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Macron's former bodyguard's gun selfie

Read more

THE DEBATE

Which world order? Trump, Macron spell out rival visions at UN

Read more

ENCORE!

Debra Granik: 'There aren't many women who love making films about blood and gore'

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Medical breakthrough? Researchers find way to tackle Alzheimer's

Read more

FOCUS

Jihadists, but no terror attacks: The case of Italy

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

A controversial pastor in Haiti, pollution in Casablanca, and more

Read more

France

France condemns Trump’s statements at the NRA

© Christophe Petit Tesson / POOL / AFP | French President François Hollande (C) stands after unveiling a commemorative plaque in front of the Comptoir Voltaire café in Paris on November 13, 2016.

Video by Nicholas RUSHWORTH

Latest update : 2018-05-06

The French government joined survivors of the 2015 extremist attacks in Paris in condemning remarks by US President Donald Trump, who said the tragedy would have ended differently if people had been carrying firearms.

On Friday the 13th of November 2015, a series of coordinated attacks took place across the French capital at a concert hall, stadium, restaurants and bars, killing 130 people and causing injury to hundreds more.

Trump told an NRA (National Rifle Association) meeting in Dallas on Friday that if any employees or civilians present during the attacks had been armed, "it would have been a whole different story".

On Saturday, France condemned Trump's remarks, calling on him to show respect for the victims of the attack.

"France expresses its firm disapproval of the comments by President Trump about the attacks of November 13, 2015 in Paris and asks for respect of the memory of the victims," foreign ministry spokeswoman Agnes von der Muhll said in a statement.

Survivors of the attack had already spoken out againsts Trump's comments.

“We are outraged by this level of indecency,” said Philippe Duperron, president of the survivors association 13onze15. “Alas, no weapon would have changed the outcome because there were suicide bombers wearing explosive belts who were going to blow themselves in the places they were attacking.”

He also accused Trump of shamelessly using victims.

Former French President Hollande also condemned Trump’s remarks.

"The shameful comments and obscene antics of Donald Trump say a lot about what he thinks about France and her values," said Hollande in a statement in French. "The friendship between our peoples will not be stained by this disrespect and outrageousness. All my thoughts are for the victims of the November 13 attacks.”

"Indecent and incompetent. What more is there to say?” tweeted former Prime Minister Manuel Valls along with an article on Trump’s statements at the NRA.

"Indignation and disgust after the statements made by Donald Trump about the November 13 attacks. Solidarity with the victims… the French are shocked. This transgression, it’s disrespect,” tweeted Bernard Cazeneuve, who was Minister of the Interior when the attacks took place in 2015.

Earlier in the day, Duperron, who represents survivors through the 13onze15 association, urged the current administration to raise their voices.

“We want the French state to take a stand, to denounce [Trump’s statements] like former Head of State François Hollande and Manuel Valls and to say that this kind of language is unacceptable,” Duperron said.

Date created : 2018-05-05

  • USA

    Trump tells NRA a civilian gunman could have stopped Paris attack

    Read more

  • BELGIUM

    Belgian court finds Paris attacks suspect Abdeslam guilty over 2016 Brussels shootout

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Netflix teams up with Naudet brothers for exclusive documentary on Nov. 13 Paris terror attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)