Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PRESS

Blind support or strategic move? Australia mulls embassy move to Jerusalem

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

'Personal computing would not have existed without him': Paul Allen dies aged 65

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Fatal flooding in France

Read more

THE DEBATE

Saudi Arabia under pressure: Crown prince defiant over Khashoggi disappearance

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Biking in Cuba, entrepreneurship in Burundi, and more

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: NOLA French Connection Brass Band, Yoko Ono & Neneh Cherry

Read more

FOCUS

US Supreme Court decision boosts anti-abortion activists in California

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Beginning of the end for 'Mutti'? State election reflects Merkel's unpopularity

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Spain's Europe minister rules out new Catalan independence referendum

Read more

Haiti permanently bans scandal-hit Oxfam charity

© AFP/File | Oxfam's chief executive Mark Goldring (L), seen here in a February 12, 2018 picture, resigned last month in the wake of a sexual misconduct scandal involving the charity's workers in Haiti

PORT-AU-PRINCE (AFP) - 

The Haitian government said Wednesday it has permanently banned international charity Oxfam Great Britain from operating in the country following a scandal over sexual misconduct by some of its workers there.

A government statement said the action -- which followed a temporary suspension in February -- was taken because of Oxfam's "violation of Haitian legislation and serious breach of the principle" of human dignity.

Oxfam Great Britain chief executive Mark Goldring announced his resignation last month, saying that someone else should help "rebuild" the group following the scandal in Haiti.

He had resisted earlier calls to resign following revelations in February that Oxfam aid workers had used prostitutes while working in the island nation after the devastating 2010 earthquake.

Oxfam Great Britain, part of Oxfam International, had lost funding and support after those revelations emerged.

The scandal sparked additional claims about aid workers in Chad, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Philippines, prompting the charity to launch an action plan against sexual harassment and abuse.

© 2018 AFP