Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

French prosecutors call for dismissal of Rwandan 1994 attack on President

Read more

THE DEBATE

Saudi Arabia under pressure: Crown Prince defiant over Khashoggi disappearance

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Biking in Cuba, entrepreneurship in Burundi, and more

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: NOLA French Connection Brass Band, Yoko Ono & Neneh Cherry

Read more

FOCUS

US Supreme Court decision boosts anti-abortion activists in California

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Beginning of the end for 'Mutti'? State election reflects Merkel's unpopularity

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Spain's Europe minister rules out new Catalan independence referendum

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Hungary's Orban: What consequences of symbolic EU vote?

Read more

Europe

Architect Renzo Piano offers to design new bridge for Genoa after deadly collapse

© Benoît Tessier, Reuters | Italian architect Renzo Piano poses at his workshop in Paris, France, on May 7, 2015.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2018-08-29

Celebrated Italian architect Renzo Piano offered on Tuesday to donate a design for a new bridge to replace the one that collapsed in his hometown of Genoa earlier this month.

Italy’s best-known architect, Renzo Piano, offered on Tuesday to donate the design for a bridge to replace the one that collapsed in his birthplace of Genoa this month, saying he cannot think about anything else after 43 people were killed in the tragedy.

The 80-year-old Piano, who shot to fame with the design of the Centre Pompidou in Paris in the 1970s and decades later designed The Shard in London, lives in France but still keeps an office near Genoa.

The project was announced after a discussion between the regional governor of Liguria, Giovanni Toti, and Piano.

“My commitment is above all moral, to make sure that the new bridge has the traits of Genoa, of our qualities and a little of our parsimony,” Piano told reporters after the meeting.

“I can’t think of anything else but that bridge.”

Italy’s populist government has pledged to strip the state concession to the toll road company that managed the bridge, and to have it rebuilt quickly, preferably by the state-controlled Fincantieri.

>> Read more: Genoa bridge collapse sounds the alarm on aging infrastructure in Europe

The collapsed bridge, completed in 1967, was seen as an avant-garde work of engineering at the time, and became a symbol connecting two sides of a city that snaked along the seashore.

“Renzo Piano voluntarily offered, as a competent Genovese, to give this new bridge project as gift to the city,” Toti said. “We happily accepted the help, and he’s already made a few proposals.”

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2018-08-29

  • ITALY

    Italian president demands safety guarantees after Genoa bridge tragedy

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Families outraged as Italy buries Morandi bridge dead

    Read more

  • EUROPE

    Genoa bridge collapse sounds the alarm on aging infrastructure in Europe

    Read more

COMMENT(S)