May vows to 'see this through' amid revolt against Brexit deal
Date created : Latest update :
British Prime Minister Theresa May vowed to fight for her draft divorce deal with the European Union on Thursday after the resignation of her Brexit secretary and other ministers put her strategy and her job in jeopardy.
- "Am I going to see this through? Yes," a defiant May told reporters hours after facing a hostile parliament and seeing four ministers quit.
- Brexit minister Dominic Raab resigned earlier in the day, saying he "cannot in good conscience support the terms proposed for our deal with the EU”.
- Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey, Junior Brexit Minister Suella Braverman and junior Northern Ireland Minister Shailesh Vara also resigned.
- All are staunch supporters of Brexit and say the draft deal does not deliver the firm break with the EU that voters chose in a 2016 referendum.
- The pound fell sharply after the resignations.
- A number of MPs have submitted letters for a vote of no-confidence in May, which will be triggered once 48 letters are received.