As it happened: More than a thousand arrested in Paris 'Yellow Vest' protests
Issued on: Modified:
Paris was again the epicentre of clashes as fresh anti-government Yellow Vest protests swept France for a fourth consecutive weekend.
- Businesses, museums and other attractions in the French capital had shuttered on Saturday in anticipation of the violent new clashes during the critical Christmas shopping season.
- French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said 125,000 demonstrators had taken to the streets across the country, including 10,000 in Paris.
- Paris and other French cities including Bordeaux, Lyon and Toulouse saw significant clashes between protesters and police.
- About 120 protesters and 20 law enforcement officials were injured nationwide, the interior minister said. Nearly 1,400 people were arrested.
- French PM Edouard Philippe called for dialogue and said President Emmanuel Macron would soon be proposing measures to “nourish” that dialogue and rebuild national unity.
(With AFP and REUTERS)