Dozens killed in attack on Christchurch mosques in New Zealand
Issued on: Modified:
New Zealand was put on “high” security alert on Friday after 49 people were killed in a terrorist attack targeting two mosques in Christchurch. Follow the day’s events as they happened on FRANCE 24’s live blog.
- Forty-nine people were killed and 48 wounded in a terrorist attack targeting two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand during Friday prayers.
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern condemned the shootings as “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence”, and placed the country on high security alert.
- Police said that a man in his late 20s had been charged with murder, and that two other people were in custody. A number of explosive devices were found attached to vehicles and defused.
- An Australian man claiming responsibility for the attack posted a manifesto and a 17-minute video online apparently showing live footage of the rampage.
- World leaders condemned the attack, expressing their condolences to the victims and their families.