Eastern Libya parliament says forces will push on in Tripoli offensive
Date created : Latest update :
Eastern Libyan forces will pursue their advance on the capital Tripoli, the head of the eastern parliament in the divided country said on Saturday, despite international calls for a halt in an offensive that risks causing many civilian casualties.
His comments came amidst an eastern air strike hit the yard of a school on the southern outskirts of Tripoli, where eastern forces have been confronted by forces allied to Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj’s internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) .
In a possible new front, the eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) was readying a unit to move to the Es Sider and Ras Lanuf oil ports, Libya’s biggest, on the eastern coast, anticipating an attack from an armed group allied to Serraj, eastern military officials said.
“The force will strengthen the protection of the ports,” one official said, asking not to be named.
On Sunday, the GNA said its forces shot down a fighter jet belonging to forces of Haftar south of the capital Tripoli.
A source for the LNA confirmed the loss of a MiG-23 aircraft, but they attributed it to a “technical failure”.
The source said the pilot had ejected with his parachute and was “safe and sound”, denying reports he had been captured by the GNA.
GNA spokesman Mohamed Gnounou earlier told AFP that “the forces of the Libyan army shot down an enemy plane that was preparing to conduct air raids in the Wadi al-Rabie area”.
On Sunday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met Haftar in Cairo to discuss developments in Libya, Sisi’s spokesman said. No other details about the meeting were immediately available.
But the eastern parliament head said they would press an offensive launched a week ago under military commander Khalifa Haftar, the latest outbreak of a cycle of conflict since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.
“We need to get rid of militias and terrorist groups,” Aguila Saleh, head of the House of Representatives allied to Haftar, said using a reference eastern officials often make to describe forces allied to the Tripoli government, which relies on support from several armed groups.
“We assure the residents of Tripoli that the campaign to liberate Tripoli will be limited and not violate any freedoms but restore security and fight terrorism,” Saleh told lawmakers in a session in the main eastern city of Benghazi.
For its part the Tripoli government will agree to a ceasefire only if the LNA troops return back east, government spokesman Mohanad Younes told reporters.
Forces loyal to Serraj’s government have so far kept the eastern offensive at bay. Fierce fighting has broken out around a disused former airport about 11km (7 miles) from the centre. An eastern military source said a warplane belonging to the LNA had struck a military camp in an eastern Tripoli suburb.
In a separate strike the yard of a primary school was hit, a Reuters reporter at the scene said. An LNA official said the plane had targeted a camp of Serraj’s forces.
Saleh also said the United Nations mission to Libya and Serraj’s government had been controlled by armed groups and had failed to expel them from the capital, and promised Libya would hold long-delayed elections after the Tripoli operation ends.
Haftar’s offensive had surprised the United Nations, which had been planning to hold a national conference on April 14 to prepare Libya for elections.
Foreign military intervention ‘cannot be a solution’
Italy’s prime minister on Saturday said any foreign military intervention in Libya would not resolve the latest conflict in its former colony, warning that it might trigger a refugee exodus across the Mediterranean.
“A military option cannot be a solution,” Giuseppe Conte told daily Il Fatto Quotidiano newspaper in an interview published on Saturday. He said talks involving all sides should be held in a bid to halt the fighting.
Italy, which is a big player in the oil sector in the troubled North African country, has supported al-Serraj’s government.
Conte said any potential military intervention could push many Libyans to flee across the Mediterranean towards southern Europe. At the moment, Libya is mainly used as a transit spot for migrants from Sub-Saharan countries. “There is a serious risk that a humanitarian crisis mounts,” he said.
Fighting in Tripoli has killed 121 people and wounded 561 since Haftar launched the offensive earlier this month, the World Health Organization said Sunday. Some 13,625 people have been forced out of their homes.
As well as the humanitarian cost, the conflict threatens to disrupt oil supplies, boost migration to Europe, scupper a UN peace plan and allow Islamist militants to exploit the chaos.
Haftar, 75, a former general in Gaddafi’s army who later joined the revolt against him, moved his troops out of their eastern stronghold to take the oil-rich desert south earlier this year, before sweeping up to Tripoli at the start of April.
(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS and AFP)