As it happened: Queen joins world leaders, WWII veterans for 75th D-Day anniversary
Issued on: Modified:
World leaders and WWII veterans gathered at memorial landmarks across Normandy on Thursday to mark the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings that paved the way for the liberation of Western Europe from Nazi rule.
- World leaders and war veterans marked 75 years since the brazen landings that paved the way for the liberation of western Europe from Nazi rule
- Queen Elizabeth II praised the heroism of those who took part and President Macron thanked them on behalf of France
- President Trump, on the last day of a state visit to the UK, read excerpts from the prayer President Roosevelt delivered by radio on D-Day
- Britain’s May and 15 world leaders released a joint statement pledging never to repeat the “unimaginable horror” of the war
- The focus shifts to France on Thursday, where memorial ceremonies will be held at D-Day landmarks across Normandy