Jurors deadlocked on charges in Winslow rape trial
Los Angeles (AFP)
A California judge declared a mistrial on eight sex assault charges against former NFL player Kellen Winslow II on Tuesday, a day after jurors convicted him of rape and two lesser charges.
After a week of deliberations, jurors at San Diego Superior Court were "hopelessly deadlocked" on outstanding charges against former Cleveland Browns players Winslow, judge Blaine Bowman said.
Prosecutors said they will decide later this week whether to seek a retrial on the deadlocked charges.
On Monday, Winslow was found guilty on charges involving three different women -- rape, indecent exposure and committing lewd conduct.
The 35-year-old, who played nine seasons in the NFL between 2004 and 2013, was convicted of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman in May last year.
He was also convicted of exposing himself to a woman gardening in her front yard, also in May last year, and committing lewd conduct in front of a 77-year-old woman at a gym in February.
Jurors could not reach agreement on a range of other allegations including the rape of a 54-year-old hitchhiker last March and the 2003 rape of a 17-year-old girl at a party.
Winslow had denied the charges, with lawyers telling the court that in each case the sex was either consensual or never took place at all.
? 2019 AFP