10 killed from Afghan family heading to funeral: officials
Issued on: Modified:
Khost (Afghanistan) (AFP)
Ten members of the same family were killed Tuesday when their car detonated a roadside bomb as they were travelling to a funeral in eastern Afghanistan, officials said.
The victims had been driving in Khost province in a large station wagon-type vehicle when the blast occurred, according to local and national officials.
"The casualties include five men, two women and three children all from one family," Talib Mangal, a spokesman for Khost's governor, told AFP.
"They were travelling to Logar province to attend a funeral."
Provincial police spokesman Adil Haidar confirmed the toll and incident details, while interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi added it was a Taliban bomb placed by the side of the road.
The Taliban did not immediately comment.
Deadly violence continues to grip Afghanistan even as the US and the Taliban negotiate on-off talks aimed at reducing America's military footprint in the country in return for the insurgents ensuring an improved security situation.
Khost is southeast of Kabul and borders Pakistan.
© 2019 AFP