As it happened: Iowa caucus results delayed in confusing start to 2020 Democratic primaries
Results of Monday’s Iowa caucuses were delayed over questions of technological “quality control", triggering hours-long waits and growing confusion on the ground. Read our live blog below to see how all the night's events unfolded.
- First results in the caucuses have been delayed due to technical “quality control” problems, likely with a mobile app. The party however stressed the delay was not due to a “hack or an intrusion”.
- Ahead of the vote, polls showed Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and former US vice president Joe Biden running neck and neck.
- The candidates have nevertheless made public speeches with all of them declaring they had put up a good showing in the Iowa caucuses.
- Trump's campaign immediately seized on the issue to sow doubt about the validity of the results.
- “Quality control = rigged?” Trump's campaign manager tweeted.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe