Suspect in Glasgow stabbing incident shot dead, officer among six injured

Police and emergency services respond at the scene of a fatal stabbing incident in central Glasgow on June 26, 2020.
Police and emergency services respond at the scene of a fatal stabbing incident in central Glasgow on June 26, 2020. © Robert Perry, AFP

A male suspect was shot dead following a stabbing incident at a hotel in central Glasgow in which several people were injured, Scottish police said Friday, adding that the incident is not being treated as terror-related.


Scottish police confirmed that the male suspect was shot by an armed officer, saying that one police officer was injured in dealing with the incident but it had been contained.

"The individual who was shot by armed police has died," assistant chief constable Steve Johnson said in a statement.

"Six other people are in hospital for treatment to their injuries including a police officer, who is in a critical but stable condition," he added.

Police later said the incident "is not being treated as terrorism. The investigation is continuing."

Greater Glasgow Police said emergency services were dealing with the incident on West George Street in the centre of Glasgow.

"The situation is contained at this time and there is no danger to the general public," police said.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was "deeply saddened" by the incident.

"My thoughts are with all the victims and their families," Johnson added in a tweet. "Thank you to our brave emergency services who are responding."

Earlier reports in the British media suggested two other people had died at the Park Inn in West George Street, which is currently being used to house asylum seekers.

However, there was no official confirmation of the fatalities.

An eyewitness told Sky News that she had seen several people covered in blood being treated by emergency services, and armed police on the scene, at around 1.15pm (1215 GMT).

Another eyewitness in the hotel described the scene as "full of blood".

"I was in my room and I heard loud screams from downstairs," a man who gave his name as John told the BBC.

"I got worried and went to check what was going on. When I opened the lift, it was all blood."

Police Scotland said its injured officer was in a critical but stable condition.

Last week, three people died in the southern English town of Reading when a man wielding a five-inch knife went on the rampage in a park. Police said they were treating that incident as terrorism.


Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning