Ex-generals face sanctions after they warn of 'civil war' in France

France 24 screen grab
France 24 screen grab © France 24 video grab

Eighteen serving officers who signed an open letter warning about the risk of "civil war" in France will face sanctions before a military council, the chief of staff of the armed forces said Wednesday.

Advertising

"Each one (will go) before a senior military council," General Francois Lecointre told Le Parisian newspaper, and could be "delisted" or "put into immediate retirement".

The open letter, published by right-wing magazine Valeurs Actuelles last week,  predicted that failure to act against "suburban hordes" -- or residents of mainly immigrant suburban areas -- and other groups who "scorn our country" will lead to "civil war" and deaths "in the thousands".

Prime Minister Jean Castex labelled the rare intervention in politics by military figures "an initiative against all of our republican principles, of honour and the duty of the army". 

The main instigators of the letter are alleged to have ties to far-right, anti-immigration movements in France.

The first signatory, Jean-Pierre Fabre-Bernadac, once ran security in the 1990s for the National Front leader, the Canard Enchaine newspaper reported.

Others include retired general Antoine Martinez, who founded "Volontaires pour la France", a right-wing group committed to defending "traditional French values". 

The letter went on to say, "laxist" government policies would result in chaos requiring "the intervention of our comrades on active duty in a perilous mission of protection of our civilisational values".

(AFP)

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning

Take international news everywhere with you! Download the France 24 app