Where France’s Covid-19 ‘health pass’ is now mandatory
France has made it obligatory to show a passe sanitaire (health pass) – proving that you are vaccinated or have tested negative for Covid-19 – for access to public venues for more than 50 people since July 21. On August 9 the health pass requirement was extended to a range of new settings, including long-distance transport, restaurants and cafés – even France’s famed outdoor terraces.
The controversial extension of the health pass has sparked protests, but the government is determined to make the pass a key part of the fight against Covid-19.
Any of the following documents can be used as a health pass in France:
- Proof of having completed a vaccination programme (two doses of an EU-approved vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson)
- A negative PCR or antigen test taken within the last 72 hours
- A Covid-19 recovery certificate that is less than six months old
Anyone who enters an establishment without showing a valid pass can be fined €135 for a first offence.
Where a health pass is required
From July 21: Cultural and leisure venues of more than 50 people
- Nightclubs, discos and bars with dancing
- Gaming rooms, casinos
- Zoos, amusement parks, circuses
- Swimming pools and sports centres
- Concerts and festivals
- Indoor sports facilities
- Cruise ships, ferries
- Hotels, holiday resorts and full-service camp sites with swimming pools, playgrounds or other entertainment facilities
>> Covid-19 'health pass' comes into force for access to French cultural venues
From August 9 the health pass is also mandatory in the following locations:
- Cafés and restaurants, including outdoor terraces
- Fairs, trade shows and conferences
- Care homes and retirement homes
- Long-distance transport (airplanes, intercity trains, TGV, overnight trains, long-distance buses)
- Medical establishments (with the exception of emergency rooms)
- Hotels, holiday resorts and full-service camp sites (with the exception of sites that only offer lodging)
>> French parliament approves law requiring Covid pass for restaurants, travel starting in August
Access to shopping centres is permitted unless otherwise decreed by local authorities in the event of a regional outbreak.
The health pass rules will apply to minors age 12 and over starting September 30.
The rules are set to apply until November 15 unless renewed by a parliamentary vote.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe